Monday 21 March 2011

FTP: Make Windows Explorer Interactive

I often use Windows Explorer as my FTP client as its quick and simple to drag and drop files on to a server. However, recently something had changed on my system which meant that when using Explorer the mode wasn't interactive and I was unable to use it in the way I would expect:



After some digging around, I managed to stumble across this MS article which although relevant to Windows 2000 also seemed to work for me running Windows XP SP3.

Essentially you need to edit a couple of options in IE - Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, Enabled Folder View for FTP sites.



A restart of Windows Explorer and a visit to my ftp site got me the much more user friendly:



I can only assume that some windows updates or IT security patch had reset these settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

/* add this crazy stuff in so i can use syntax highlighter