Thursday 1 September 2011

Powershell: change start location of shell

I'm starting to build up a repository of powershell scripts and I have been getting a little frustrated that every time I open up the PS shell, it defaults to my user directory:


I then have to "cd" to the location of my scripts to start working. Back a couple years ago, I remember going through some steps to personalise my PS shell (although obviously that knowledge didn't stick!) and so I thought i'd find out how to change the default dir to be my PS scripts folder.

This article suggested that I just needed to edit the Microsoft.Powershell_profile.ps1 file in the WindowsPowerShell directory in My Documents. Easy.

Off i went to that directory, only to discover it wasn't there - not hidden or protected it just didn't exist. Thinking that the location may be different on my setup, I ran the $Profile command in PS and it confirmed that it should be in C:\Documents and Settings\RichardB\My Documents\WindowsPowerShell



Then it dawned on me. Perhaps I just need to create the directory and file myself. So I navigated to My Documents and created the WindowsPowerShell folder and a Microsoft.Powershell_profile.ps1 file. The final step was to edit the file to change the behaviour I was after:

Set-Location C:\PS



A quick restart of Powershell and there we have it. A bit of time saved when using Powershell.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting such a great blog. I found your website perfect for my needs. Read About Teams Usuario

    ReplyDelete

/* add this crazy stuff in so i can use syntax highlighter